Ahhh, the great outdoors. Since road trips are all the rage these days, hiking is undoubtedly on the rise as a favorite pastime for both men and women – and even sometimes their pets! To get the most out of your hike, it is important to make sure you have all your day hiking essentials and hiking clothes before heading out on the trails so that you are prepared for inclement weather, rough terrain, or other trail conditions.
Here are some of the top-rated hiking gear and accessories. No matter if you are taking a 30-minute walk through nature or a multi-day backpacking trip to climb up a mountain. These are a few clothing and gear ideas when considering what to wear hiking.
Best Hiking Accessories
When hiking, you want to make sure you have all the right hiking clothes and accessories to get you through the day. Yes, that even means snacks and cream for joint pain! Some essential items needed are on your phone, such as a compass, flashlight, and a clock. We also recommend always having a basic first aid kit on you and learn some techniques to relieve sore muscles.
- Backpack – Comfort is key when it comes to your backpack. You want something lightweight with plenty of compartments. This Osprey Atmos AG 65 Pack offers 3D suspension contouring to provide the ultimate comfort, ventilation, and upper body mobility.
- Water Bottle – It is so important to stay hydrated! As you are hiking outdoors, it is recommended that you drink room temperature water. Any insulated water bottle will do, bonus points for it being lightweight, but a CamelBak with extra pockets to hold things is the top choice. This three-liter CamelBak Hydration Pack Reservoir fits easily into a backpack, offers plenty of hydration, and features a leak-proof cap that’s easy to open and close.
- Walking Sticks / Trekking Poles – Not everyone needs walking sticks, but they do help with your balance if you are in a rocky area or walking through water. These Cascade Mountain Tech Aluminum Quick Lock Trekking Poles are supportive and sturdy, but lightweight. Suitable for any height, they are adjustable from 26 to 54 inches and feature a Quick-Lock locking mechanism to ensure a stable and safe hike.
- Solar-Powered Charger – Always have a charger on hand, one that is powered by the sun is undoubtedly essential for hiking outdoors. This way, your cell phone will not die when you need to take the perfect selfie at the top of a mountain! This charger from Taoxiwave is shockproof, waterproof and can charge two devices at the same time. It also features an LED flashlight perfect for extra visibility at night or in an emergency.
Best Hiking Outfits for Men
When hiking outdoors, the best men’s hiking clothes are the most comfortable and breathable. For footwear, you want comfortable and well-fitting boots, protective socks for added warmth, and protection from blisters. If you are hiking in a wooded area, you must wear pants to avoid ticks or cuts and scrapes from the brush. If going on an all-day or multiple-day hike, you will need a raincoat if there is an unforeseen storm.
Depending on how fashionable you want to be, you can find men’s hiking gear affordable on places like Amazon or high-end brands for much more. As long as you are comfortable – you will have a good time. A few of the best hiking clothes for men include:
- Arrowood Triclimate Jacket from NorthFace: This three-in-one jacket offers a waterproof outer shell and fleece inner shell. Toss on the outer shell alone if it starts to rain on a hike, throw on the fleece by itself when it gets colder as you hike up the mountain, or zip them together for the ultimate warmth and weather protection.
- Ph.D. ® Pro Endurance Print Crew Socks from Smartwool: The ultimate walking and running sock, it features Shred Shield™ technology to reduce wear on toes, offers sole and ankle cushion designed for protection on the most rugged trails. And with a colorful mountain design, you’ll be rocking some stylish hiking fashion as well.
- RADIKL™Men’s short from Kuhl: The cotton, nylon, and spandex fabric is abrasion resistant and provides sun protection on long hikes. It’s knit panels make the shorts feel lightweight and offer ventilation and flexibility so that you feel comfortable all day long. They’re available in a variety of colors to fit your unique style.
Best Hiking Outfits for Women
Women’s hiking clothes can have a little more flair with multiple colors available and more ways for the hiker to show off their personality. Here are a few cute hiking clothes ideas for your next adventure.
- This Match Point Dress from Athleta is a perfect hiking dress if you want to look stylish on the trail. Its sleek and lightweight fabric offers flexibility and supportive compression where you need it. The mesh ventilation keeps you cool and comfortable, and it’s easy to layer with bike shorts for extra mobility.
- Hiking boots are a necessity on the trail, and another great way to show off your style. The Vaya Mid GTX Hiking Boots from Salomon are designed specifically with women in mind, meaning if you’ve struggled to find boots that fit correctly in the past, these may be for you.
- These Trail Tight Leggings from Eddie Bauer look stylish and will protect your legs from cuts, scrapes, and wildlife. Created specifically for hiking and scrambling, they are perfect for short hikes or multi-day treks. Mesh paneling offers ventilation, and the polyester/spandex stretch fabric provides sun protection and regulates moisture to keep you comfortable.
Having the right hiking apparel can make or break your adventure. It’s essential to understand the weather and terrain conditions you might face on your trek and plan your outfits accordingly. While comfort is paramount, there are plenty of options for a hiking look that is as stylish as it is functional.