Pull up bars are a great way to stay fit. They’re a superb addition to any home gym, or an easy to set up piece of stand-alone equipment. Our article looks at the best doorway pull up bars, freestanding pull up bars, and even ceiling and wall-mounted bars.
The Benefits of Pull Up Bars
The pull up bar is such a popular piece of home exercise equipment for many reasons:
- Easy to set up
- Many take up very little space
- Pull ups improve grip
- Pull ups work on specific groups of muscles
- Pull ups increase overall fitness and stamina
- Pull ups can aid in weight loss
- Pull ups improve upper body strength
- Regular exercise improves mood and sleep patterns
Getting out to the gym is difficult for many of us due to time constraints and busy lifestyles. Grabbing even 5 minutes at home with the pull up bar can add a strengthening routine to any fitness regime.
What Makes a Good Pull-Up Bar?
The best pull up bars tend to share several characteristics:
- Easy to set up
- Easy to use
- Don’t take up too much space
- Can be used in a variety of ways/positions
- Some are portable for those who like to exercise when they travel
Whichever features of a pull up bar are most important to you, you’ll find something suitable on our list of the best.
The 10 Best Pull-Up Bars Available Online
If you’re looking for a pull up bar for home use, look no further. We’ve scoured the best gym equipment online and found 10 of the best pull up bars available right now. From free-standing home gym additions to portable travel bars, there’s something for everyone here.
The Iron Gym Pull Up Bar is possibly the best pull up bar on the market right now. The door frame pull up bar is extremely popular because you can mount it in just about any room in the home. The Iron Gym spreads the weight of your body across the doorframe allowing you to exercise whenever you want without risking damage to the doorframe.
Foam grips make it comfortable while the width and shape of the bar allow for several different grip positions. This makes it easy to use the bar for pull ups or chin ups, crunches, dips and many more.
- Easy to set up
- Holds weight of up to 300 pounds
- Comfortable to use
- Won’t damage door frame thanks to weight distribution and padding
- Doorframe needs to be 24-32 inches wide so very few doorways may not be suitable. Check your doorframe size before ordering.
Special Features: The ability to fit this onto most doorframes via a clever leverage system makes the Iron Gym the best doorway pull up bar around.
This portable pull up bar actually comes in two parts. These pull up bar handles hook over any doorframe, meaning you can go to the gym wherever you are! The two handles attach and detach from a doorframe using spring loaded clamps, making them completely versatile.
Despite their size, they fold out to have multiple grips allowing for pull ups and leg raises amongst many other exercises. They then fold back flat to slip into any luggage or gym bag.
- Can be easily transported and used just about anywhere
- Multiple grip positions
- Easy to set up and use
- Patented spring clamps firmly attach pull up equipment to door
- Door molding must be 2 to 4 inches high so check specs of equipment before using
- Not as versatile as some larger pieces of equipment
Special Features: Combines sturdy construction with portability.
The Maximiza is another doorway pull-up bar that uses screw-in door mounts. Each pack comes with three sets of door mounts, meaning the bar can be used in multiple locations around the house. Whether you want to add it to your home gym or add a quality piece of exercise equipment anywhere in your home, this pull up bar is easy to install and use.
- Straight bar can be used for multiple exercises
- Strengthens multiple muscle groups
- Easy to install
- Can be used in up to three separate locations
- Comfortable hand grips
- Must be used with door mounts so not suitable for those needing a truly portable pull up bar
- Must be adjusted to the right length carefully to avoid bar rolling
Special Features: Will fit doorways even up to 39 inches.
One of the most popular aspects of this piece of home gym equipment is the tough build. Designed for “Real Workouts”, this strong bit of kit is built from heavy steel tubing and supports a weight of up to 300 pounds.
The Body Press XL combines two bars across an ergonomic, curved design that easily hooks over a doorframe. It can also be accessorized with straps and bands to increase exercise potential. Despite being portable, the design incorporates leverage so that when attached, it’s completely rigid and secure.
- Safe and secure
- Portable within the home- move from doorframe to doorframe as needed
- Tough and built for regular use
- Larger than many other doorway pull up bars
- Accessories must be purchased separately
Special Features: Features a range of optional accessories including gymnastic rings and abs straps.
This doorway pull up bar requires no holes, screws or mounts, despite not hooking over the door frame. It uses a unique anti-skid locking mechanism which allows you to adjust the bar to the right width and lock it securely in place. Once your exercise session is over, take it down and put it away. This means you can exercise wherever you want.
The slip-resistant foam gives you the best grip while exercising, and keeps your hands feeling comfortable, too. The single bar is made from premium grade steel and can hold a surprising 300 pounds.
- Full portable providing it fits in your gym bag or luggage
- Easy to install and dismantle
- Tough and durable
- Single bar, not as versatile as some other options Check doorway size as fits from 27.5 to 35.5 inches which isn’t as wide a range as some other options.
Special Features: Unique anti-skid triangular mounting mechanism.
Often advertised as a Barbell rack, this versatile piece of home exercise equipment doubles up as a pull up rack, as well as being useful for a range of other workout options. It can be placed wherever convenient to allow for a range of core exercises such as leg raises and crunches. It’s also got one of the best weight capacities of all the equipment on our list, managing up to a whopping 750 pounds.
The rack can be accessorized to make it even more versatile, but just as it is, it’s a great way to support your entire home exercise and workout regime.
- Incredibly sturdy with a huge weight capacity
- A full workout is possible with just one piece of kit
- Supports lifting as well as pull ups and leg raises
- Freestanding pull up bars always take up more space than door/wall-mounted options
Special Features: Fitness heritage: the peace of mind that comes from buying from a company with over three decades of experience in exercise.
A free-standing pull up bar is ideal for those with the space to create a home gym. Even those in small apartments can fit this in the corner of a bedroom or a living space, as the slim metal frame is surprisingly compact.
This is a full exercise station which allows for chin-ups or pull-ups, dips, and even a variety of floor exercises. Comfy pads and grips make the Power Tower easy to use.
- Versatile piece of kit allowing for multiple exercises
- Free standing and movable
- Solid, sturdy frame
- Easy to clean
- Takes up more space than a traditional pull up bar
Special Features: Backrest and pads allow for tricep dips and similar exercises.
The is a ceiling mounted pull up bar that stays in place once fixed into your home gym, garage or bedroom. Being able to mount it anywhere on the ceiling means you can significantly increase your range of motion. Legs can be raised in any direction, allowing for even more muscle groups to be worked.
This bar has four different grip positions, too, so there’s even more scope for a fill body workout. And, with a ten-year guarantee, there’s complete peace of mind, too.
- Excellent range of movement if placed in a large space
- Secure and sturdy ceiling mountings
- Four grip positions for multiple exercises
- Foam grips for comfort
- Not portable
- Must be fixed away from wall to ensure proper range of body movement so larger room may be required if wanting to take advantage of this
Special Features: Patented dual position risers and American design hailing from North Carolina.
The Perfect Fitness door pull up bar is one billed as a “Portable Gym System”. As well as easily hooking over any doorframe for pull-ups or chin-ups, this piece of kit can be used on the floor, too. This allows users to do pushups, sit-ups and a range of other fitness techniques, making it a true “all in one” option.
This pull up bar has wide curved grips and padding for extra comfort. The design allows for close, wide and hammer grip pull ups plus leg raises and dips.
- 300 pound weight capacity
- Patented doorframe guard
- Ergonomic handles
- Fits doorways from 27 to 33 inches which is not as wide a size range as some others on the market
Special Features: The ability to switch between pull ups and floor exercises means you may never need another piece of gym equipment again.
This wall-mounted pull up bar has recently been updated (2019) to make the wall fixings even safer and more durable. Regularly rated as “excellent”, this 42 inch wide pull up bar sits a comfortable 14 to 21 inches away from the wall, giving plenty of room for a range of pull ups, legs raises and other exercises.
The strong build and rigid bar make this a great option for focusing on upper body strength. The padded grips lend comfort to any workout session.
- Strong and rigid
- Padded and ergonomic
- Stands proud from the wall to allow a good range of movement
- Not portable
- Less range of movement than with some ceiling mounted or portable bars
Special Features: Includes American tech support if required.
Takeaway: Pull up bars are a type of gym equipment that builds upper body strength, stamina, and overall fitness. They can be portable, door mounted, wall-mounted, ceiling-mounted or even freestanding. Our list compiles 10 of the best pull up bars available to buy online.